Arty Science – Festive Marbling!
We love getting creative, especially at Christmas time! Art and science combine in this festive experiment to make a brilliant, easy Christmas decoration that you can hang on the tree, or make lots to hang around the house!
You will need:
- Bowl or tray
- Cocktail stick
- Marbling inks – We used these from Amazon – Scola 6 x 25ml Marbling Inks
- Festive template – Click here to use ours
- Scissors *adult assistance needed*
- Cut out your template.
- Half fill your bowl or tray with water.
- Choose your colours and add a 3-4 drops of each to the water.
- Swirl the colours round gently using the cocktail stick, be careful not to mix it too much, or the colours will merge into one. Less is more!
- Place your template into the water and count to 5.
- Remove the template and leave to dry!
The Science Bit:
- Marbling inks are made from an oil based paint, because oil is less dense than water, it doesn’t mix with the water, it just sits on top.
- The paint then sticks to whatever you put into the water!
Why not try:
- Another density experiment from our blog
- Marbling some different materials.
- Making some marbled decorations for different seasons and holidays, it doesn’t just have to be a festive experiment!