An experiment for Snow Day – Snowy eruptions!
It’s a snow day for most of the children here in England so we’ve come up with a great snowy, science experiment to try on your day off!
You will need:
- Bicarbonate of soda
- A cup
- A spoon
- Paint or food colouring
- Fill the cup with 4 heaped teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- Add in your paint or food colouring. Feel free to either mix this up or leave it unmixed for a rainbow effect!
- Go outside and make a snow mountain. Bury the cup into the top of the mountain so that the top of the cup is level with the top of the mountain.
- Pour vinegar into the cup and watch it erupt!
The science bit:
- Vinegar and bicarbonate of soda combine to make carbon dioxide gas. As gasses like to expand, the carbon dioxide creates bubbles which pushes the remaining liquid out and over the top of the snow mountain!
Why not try:
- Use different amounts of vinegar and bicarbonate of soda
- Make lots of different coloured volcanoes all over the garden!