Learn about dissolving and the properties of different liquids using our latest festive experiment! Why not try making predictions as to which liquid will dissolve the candy canes the most? You don’t even have to use the liquids we have suggested, you can add lots of different liquids.
You will need:
- 4 cups
- 4 candy canes
- Washing up liquid
- Fill the cups 3/4 up with each liquid. (If you want to be really scientific, measure your liquids out in a jug/measuring cup first!)
- Put a candy cane in each cup.
- Decide how long you are going to leave them for and set a timer (5 or 10 minutes works well) and press start.
- Remove the candy canes and look at the changes.
The science bit:
Things dissolve when they mix with a liquid to form a solution. Sugar can’t dissolve certain liquids that aren’t polar (e.g. oil ) because the bonds cannot be broken so it cannot mix with the liquid.
Why not try?:
- Using different liquids
- Leaving the candy canes for more/less time
- Trying the liquids at different temperatures