Find out how rainbows work by reversing the process in this easy experiment that you can do at home! The rainbow spinner experiment!
You will need:
- Cut a circle out of the cardboard.
- Using a black felt tip, split the circle into 7 segments.
- Colour in each segment with a different colour of the rainbow – Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.
- Push the cocktail stick through the middle of the spinner.
- Spin it round as quickly as you can and watch the colours merge into white!
The Science Bit:
Rainbows are formed by white light from the sun being split into all its component colours by diffraction. The rainbow spinner reverses the process by taking all the colours of the rainbow and merging them back into white!
Why not try mixing other colours to see what you can make?