Fun Science Teeth Experiment
Demonstrate to children how different drinks affect our teeth, and the importance of brushing with this fun science teeth experiment. Learn about tooth enamel, the effect of acid on our teeth, and have fun with this egg-speriment!
You will need:
- 5 boiled eggs
- Orange juice
- 5 pint glasses or similar container
- Place each of the eggs in a container.
Cover each egg with a different liquid.
- Leave the eggs over night, keeping an eye on any changes!
- In the morning, take the eggs out and compare them, careful, they might have changed a bit!
- Discuss how different drinks effect your teeth in different ways and that’s why it is important to brush your teeth.
The science bit:
The egg shell is very similar to the enamel on our teeth. It can easily stain from drinks we consume. If we don’t brush our teeth at night and in the morning, the food and drink we have during the day is left to coat the tooth and can stain them permanently or lead to tooth decay!
Why not try?:
- Brushing the eggs with an old toothbrush and toothpaste. Does it help to clean the shell?
- Can you think of any other liquids you could use? Why not try milkshake or squash?
- Enjoy this teeth experiment? Why not try another egg-speriment here?