Watch it Grow!
Spring has sprung (finally!) so it is the perfect time to plant something and watch it grow! In this spring science experiment you will make your own plant pot with a viewing window so you can watch the roots grow.
You will need:
- An empty juice carton
- Duct tape
- Seeds – your choice! Eg. carrots.
- Clear plastic eg from a plastic wallet or something stronger
- Wash out the juice carton.
- Cut off the top, down the sides (on one side) and across the bottom so there is 1 inch left around the edge. *May require adult to help*
- Measure and cut the plastic to size, including the 1 extra inch to stick to the carton!
- Put superglue around the edge of the “window” on the carton and stick the plastic down. *May require adult to help*
- Place duct tape over the edge of the plastic to ensure it is water-tight.
- Add soil until it is nearly at the top of the carton.
- Plant your seed 1/2 an inch away from the window.
- Water your plant.
- Place the top of the carton back on for a 1-2 weeks – most plants germinate better in the dark!
- Check the soil to ensure it stays moist.
- Watch the roots grow!
- Why not add a ‘window’ on both sides?
- Don’t stop at one, make more and plant lots of different things! Do the roots look different?
- Why not decorate the carton?
Many thanks to Brainstorm in Bloom for this spring science experiment!